Richard Nichols: President, Capital Direct
Creating a positive future for generations to come is an opportunity before each of us, and we at Capital Direct are proud to say we strive to do this through initiatives like Cause We Care.
- How did you get involved with Cause We Care Foundation?
- Initially I had heard about Cause We Care through personal friends – but it struck a chord in me after I learned the initiative was led by a group of career-oriented women with families, who were taking their personal time to put together care packages for single mothers and their children. Somehow being Canadian makes you feel that if you can actively give back to the institutions who supported, educated, and raised you to be who you are then you are very lucky. Even if they’re not exactly the same ones, giving to communities to give others a leg up or a helpful hand, gives you that same feeling. I feel fortunate to be able to provide a comfortable home for my children. I knew as soon as I had heard about the initiative that we had to get involved, matching donations to double the reach and impact of Cause We Care was a no brainer for us.
- Why is giving back to the community important to you at Capital Direct?
- At Capital Direct we understand that we play an important role in the households of our clients and their families. We believe in strengthening and growing our community and our investors have taken an active interest - whether it’s for the betterment of our clients, partners, or even those that we have not spoken to or may never have a chance to. Creating a positive future for generations to come is an opportunity before each of us, and we at Capital Direct are proud to say we strive to do this through initiatives like Cause We Care.
- How does community involvement impact your team at Capital Direct?
- I am very thankful for the amazing group of people we have at Capital Direct that care as much as I do about giving back to the community. From taking personal time to volunteer and answer donation lines, to spending hours putting together care packages for single mothers and their children – community involvement is an important part of the culture we have at Capital Direct.
- Which other charities do you support?
- In addition to Cause We Care, we also support Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland, CKNW Kids’ Fund, the VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation, Alberta Children's Hospital, Toronto’s SickKids Hospital, and Music Heals among others.
- If you could change one thing about Vancouver what would it be?
- Bike lanes – there aren’t enough of them. Also, Uber.
- Motto to live by?
- Acta non verba – which is Latin for: deeds, not words.
- Anything else you would like to add?
- I challenge everyone reading this to go further with their contributions to the community, and think about how they can get more involved with Cause We Care and every initiative inspired by their great work.