Many children have nowhere to go after school that’s safe or supervised. There are currently 12 schools in Metro Vancouver that are deemed as “inner city”. With your generous donations, we funnel much needed funds to front-line organizations and inner city schools where the need is the greatest.
Cause We Care Foundation funds afterschool programs at four inner city schools in Vancouver; Thunderbird Elementary School, Macdonald Elementary, Hastings Elementary and Queen Elizabeth Elementary. We also fund KidSafe that provides spring and summer break programs in Metro Vancouver.
- 80% Over 80% of the students and their families live in poverty; most live in single-parent families with the mothers;
- 52% 52% of the children are of Aboriginal ancestry; within this group are numerous nations and tribal groups representing a diversity of cultures and languages but lacking any organized political representation;
- 40% 40% of the children are recent immigrants or refugees to Canada, bringing memories of war, atrocities against their families, and deep emotional wounds that need healing and understanding; English is not their first language;
- 40% 40% of the children have significant special needs; most of the needs are social, emotional, and behavioural. According to Ministry of Education criteria for behavioural needs, there are at least two severe and several moderately severe students in every classroom.
- 30% 30% of the children live in foster care
- 8% Children with fetal alcohol or narcotic syndrom make up 8% of the population
- 30% The school has a high absentee and transience rate, with a stable population of only 30%